Apple earlier released the iOS 5.0.1 to patch the few small issues with the original iOS 5 release, particularly the battery drain problem. The Sn0wbreeze software is now updated to version 2.8b10 that supports the tethered jailbreak of iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touches. Follow the guide below to jailbreak your device.
Before moving forward, please note that the current jailbreak is tethered, which means that you’ll have to connect your device to a PC on each device restart. If your device is untethered jailbroken on a previous device, we recommend you to wait for a untethered jailbreak for the new firmware before updating to iOS 5.x.
This time, the sn0wbreeze software adds support for iPad baseband for iPhone 3GS users, removal of UDID requirement that let’s you to load beta software without needing an Apple Developer account and patch the sandbox crashing issue with iBooks. However as noted earlier, this jailbreak is currently tethered only.
Steps to Jailbreak and Unlock:
- Download iOS 5.0.1 Beta 2 for your device from Apple. [ Download Link ]
- Download Sn0wbreeze 2.8b10 for Windows [ Download Link ]
- Run the sn0wbreeze client and cook a custom firmware for your device. Remember to select iPad Baseband option if you need to update or currently run iPad baseband 06.15.00
- Once the custom firmware is made, put your device to DFU mode and run iTunes. Now click on Restore button while pressing the ‘shift’ key and browse to the recently created custom .ipsw file.
- iTunes will now update to iOS 5.0.1. If it fails, try putting the device in DFU mode through iREB.
- Once the iOS 5.0.1 is installed, run iBooty to run into jailbroken state on your device.
- If you need to unlock your device, go through this article to unlock your device using ultrasn0w.