The Apple iOS 4.2 has now reached Gold Master version and is available for download for all the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch models. It is now possible to jailbreak the devices running the iOS 4.2 using the Redsn0w using the Geohot’s Limera1n exploit. The jailbreak works with nearly all iOS devices including iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPad and iPod Touch 2g,3g,4g.
Warning: This procedure will upgrade your baseband. If you rely on ultrasn0w unlock, do not proceed with this method
Follow the procedure below to proceed with the jailbreak:
- Update your device to iOS 4.2 using iTunes 10.1.
- Download iOS 4.2 and 4.1 for your device. (Both are needed for this procedure).
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.6b2, run it and point to the IPSW file of iOS 4.1.
- Select “Install Cydia” from the menu and follow the on-screen instructions to enter the device in DFU mode and wait while redsn0w patches the iOS.
- Once the installer is done, your device will reboot with the Cydia Installed.