CompuLab has released Fit-PC 2, and claims to be the smallest HTPC ever made, which works on ultra-low Power. This PC can be used as a nettop and small-form factor media PC. As opposed to traditional Nettops, Fit-PC 2 uses Intel Atom Processor Z530 at 1.60 GHz along with the low power Intel US15W System Controller hub, which consumes 1/3rd of the power than the tradition Nettops using N270 Processor and Intel 945G chip.
This new small-form factor PC is expected to compete with Acer Revo and other such nettops. What makes it unique is its ultra-low power consumption, while providing full support for HD Media playback. It’s size is just 4″ x 4.5″ x 1.05″ which makes it smaller than even a CD! At this small package, the device can run Windows and Ubuntu fluently and decode full HD 1080p Media while consuming less than 7W !
Here’s a complete list of specifications of the product:
- Intel Atom Z530 1.6GHz / Z510 1.1GHz CPU
- Intel US15W SCH Chipset
- 1GB DDR2-533 on-board Memory
- Internal bay for 2.5″ SATA HDD (up to 250GB)
- miniSD socket
- Intel GMA500 graphics acceleration
- Full hardware video acceleration of H.264, MPEG2, VC1, and WMV9
- DVI Digital output up to 1920 x 1080 through HDMI connector
- High definition 2.0 Audio
- Line-out, line-in, mic
- 1000 BaseT Ethernet
- 802.11g WLAN
- 6 USB 2.0 High Speed ports
- Programmable consumer IR receiver
- All aluminum case with die cast body for heat dissipation and fanless operation
- Low Power consumption, Maximum of 8W under load
- Remote control available for easy Media controlling
- Extremely rugged body to absorb pressure, shock and high temperatures
- Weight of 370 grams / 13 ounces – including hard disk
This new platform is expected to compete with the low cost small-form factor PCs which are capable of driving large monitors and playing full HD content. Their small size makes them easier to carry and maintain. The new Low-power design will help in energy saving, and can even run on battery. The device will be available at $245 – $396 depending on the specifications.