Camera market is very hot these days as more and more companies are coming into the competition. This means there are a lot of cameras to choose from. For the consumer market, the point and shoot cameras are the most important. They are small, low cost, easy to carry, and offers attractive design. Naturally, some cameras skimp on features to get the price down.
Today we review the Canon Powershot A590 IS, a new addition to the Canon A series of compact cameras. This camera is been getting good reviews due to its low price point and high features. Lets take a look on it.
These are the few features the camera provides.
- 8.0-megapixel CCD (effective) delivers image resolutions as high as 3,264 x 2,448
- 4x optical zoom lens, equivalent to 35-140mm
- As much as 4x digital zoom
- Nine-point AF area, plus manual focus and advanced Face Detection
- Digic III Image Processor
- Easy, Auto, Program AE, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Manual main exposure modes
- 2.5-inch color LCD monitor
- Shutter speeds from 1/2,000 to 15 seconds, depending on exposure mode
- Maximum aperture range from f/2.6 – f/5.5, depending on zoom setting
- Built-in flash with three main modes plus Red-eye Removal
- SDHC/SD/MMC/MMCplus/HC-MMCplus memory card slot
- Power from two AA-type batteries, set of alkalines included
- USB 2.0 connector jack and cable
- AV cable for connection to television set
- Real-image optical viewfinder
- PictBridge, Canon Direct Print and Bubble Jet Direct compatible
Sample Pictures: (Please click them to view in full detail)
Sample Views of the Camera
Some scenery Pictures
Macro Mode Pictures
Best Feature: Optical Image Stabilization
Optical Image Stabilization reduces the effect of camera shake due to ‘floating lens’. This feature detect movement, specially in low light conditions and dynamically reduces image blur. So, no more blurry photo. This feature was previously a luxury of expensive cameras, but its nice to see such a feature in mid range cameras.
With Image stabilization off With Image Stabilization On
New Feature: Face Detection
The Camera has a face detection technology which can detect and dynamically adjust color tones for best looking skin colors.
- Excellent photo quality in good light
- Great value for the money
- Slightly more zoom power than typical cameras in this class
- Optical image stabilization
- Snappy performance
- Very good low light focusing and LCD visibility
- Full manual controls, plus plenty of scene modes
- Redeye not a problem, thanks to auto redeye removal tool
- Well-implemented face detection feature
- Supports conversion lenses
- Above average battery life using just two AA batteries
- USB 2.0 High Speed support
Although it has some deficiencies too, such as blurry images in High ISO settings, Low LCD resolution and plastic tripod mount, this camera manages to stand out in the line of compact cameras. It offers the best price/performance ratio. Due to this, the product is fully recommended.